Did a toddler swallow his grandmother's blood pressure medicine

A Close Call

Emergencies can happen fast and seemingly out of nowhere.

Two-year-old Kevin Governor, who was with his grandmother in White Castle while his mom was at work, asked for a piece of gum. When he went into Scherlyn Mosaby’s purse to get it he came out with more: her blood pressure pills.

When Scheryln realized Kevin was holding pills, she feared he had swallowed some. She called 9-1-1, and soon was accompanying Kevin in an ambulance to the Our Lady of the Lake Children’s Hospital.

After checking Kevin’s vital signs, staff physician Clayton Kleinpeter, MD, determined the toddler probably had not ingested any of the pills. But to be safe, she kept him for a
few hours to observe his vital signs, and discharged him later that night.

For mom Megan Governor, who was at work as a railroad company driver at the time, she’s glad her Kevin’s grandmother played it safe by calling 9-1-1.

“They gave Kevin great care, and I felt really good about how things turned out,” Megan said.

NEXT: 3-month-old has difficulty breathing